[DNSOP] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 06 January 2016 20:57 UTC

From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 12:57:56 -0800
Cc: tjw.ietf@gmail.com, draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive@ietf.org, dnsop@ietf.org, dnsop-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/

DISCUSS:

Before I ballot yes on this I have a question to ask.
Most likely the answer will be the obvious one and we'll be
done, but I want to check and if the answer is not the
obvious one then holding the discuss as we fix stuff would
be correct I think.

The question: how does this option play with DNS over
DTLS? [1]

The reason I ask is that there may be a need in that case
for some similar option (or a TLS extension maybe) though
for the DTLS session lifetime and not a TCP session
lifetime. At present you are saying that this option is
not it. And that's a fine answer but you could also have
said that this could also be used for DTLS session
lifetime handling. And that last might make sense for
operational reasons (not sure really, but could be).

   [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-dnsodtls-03

COMMENT:

- intro: "However, TCP transport as currently deployed has
expensive setup overhead." That seems a bit wrong as the
3-way h/s is an inherent part of TCP and isn't really
specific to DNS with TCP trasnport not is it a deployment
issue. I'd suggest just delete the sentence and merge the
remaining part of tha para with the next.

- 3.3.2: What's the last sentence of this section about?
A case where a TCP session is handed over? Might be no
harm saying why (via a reference to anything would be
fine)