Re: [dnssd] WGLC on draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01

Daniel Kaiser <daniel.kaiser@uni-konstanz.de> Mon, 26 June 2017 15:15 UTC

To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, bortzmeyer@nic.fr, Tim Chown <Tim.Chown@jisc.ac.uk>, "dnssd@ietf.org" <dnssd@ietf.org>
From: Daniel Kaiser <daniel.kaiser@uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:15:46 +0200
Subject: Re: [dnssd] WGLC on draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-01

Thank you very much for the review.

Regarding the host names, I described a solution for privacy-preserving
host name resolution via mDNS in my thesis.
Summarizing, it works as follows (assuming Alice wants to resolve Bob's
host name):

• Bob offers a PTR and a SRV resource record for his _pds service
instance, and an A
resource record associated with his randomized mDNS name, e.g.
“AB1234EF.local”.
• Upon receiving Bob’s PTR resource record, Alice processes the hint
contained in the
service instance name and learns that it is Bob’s service instance.
• Alice resolves this service instance retrieving the corresponding SRV
resource record.
She then resolves the randomized hostname, “AB1234EF.local”, obtaining
Bob’s A
resource record.
• The daemon on Alice’s device updates the local DNS cache, and creates
a CNAME
record, establishing “AB1234EF.local” as a canonical name for
“bob.privacy.local”.
• Applications on Alice’s device can now simply use something like
gethostbyname("bob.privacy.local")  for resolving Bob’s private host name.

This name (or just the "bob" part of it) could then also be displayed it
in a UI...
But as Christian Huitema said, the GUI typically only shows instance names,
which is not influenced by our solution.

Should we add such a way of pirvacy-preserving host name resolution to
the draft?
We are currently working on a 02 version.

kind regards
Daniel