Re: [dnssd] New Version Notification for draft-huitema-dnssd-privacy-01.txt

Alf Watt <alf@istumbler.net> Wed, 22 June 2016 22:11 UTC

From: Alf Watt <alf@istumbler.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 15:11:01 -0700
To: "dnssd@ietf.org" <dnssd@ietf.org>
Cc: Daniel Kaiser <daniel.kaiser@uni-konstanz.de>, Christian Huitema <huitema@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [dnssd] New Version Notification for draft-huitema-dnssd-privacy-01.txt

I think the threat analysis and enumeration of privacy implication is very well done and very helpful.

The suggested mechanism for private service advertising is well thought out and an interesting method, but it’s worth mentioning two important points:

- “Pairing” (S 4.1) does solve an important security problem but I don’t think that the scope of pairing is a good fit with service discovery: which is typically between members of a group (i.e. family, workplace or school, etc) which can be larger than two people.

- An older, wiser, IETF member once pointed out to me that RFCs are not the best place to do protocol design: they are a good way to codify existing protocols so that vendors can develop interoperable implementations. In order to get these protocols implemented in real devices we need to outline the use cases and requirements for private service discovery so that vendors can consider if they want to implement them.

I’m interested in writing up those requirements, but unfortunately I’m only available volunteer hours for this work at the moment so it could take a while before I can get to it.

Best,
Alf