Re: [Dots] WGLC on draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-06

"Jon Shallow" <supjps-ietf@jpshallow.com> Wed, 06 November 2019 17:12 UTC

From: Jon Shallow <supjps-ietf@jpshallow.com>
To: 'Valery Smyslov' <valery@smyslov.net>, dots@ietf.org, dots-chairs@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 17:12:34 -0000
Subject: Re: [Dots] WGLC on draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-06

Hi All,

I have done a preliminary working implementation of DOTS Call-Home  - there
is still some little used functionality to finish off.

*** Issue # 1 - TCP TLS sessions

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-06#section-3.1

" If UDP transport is used, the Call Home DOTS server begins by
initiating a DTLS connection to the Call Home DOTS client."

This works as expected where the UDP + DTLS layer roles are switched.

" If TCP is used, the Call Home DOTS server begins by initiating a
TCP connection to the Call Home DOTS client.  Using this TCP
connection, the Call Home DOTS server initiates a TLS connection
to the Call Home DOTS client."

With the current libcoap implementation, I am unable to create a CoAP
session using TLS on an existing TCP connection - so the DOTS Client is
unable to accept an incoming TCP session and then initiate TLS integrated
with the CoAP session.  I agree that RFC8071 only switches the TCP layer
roles.  However all works if the TCP + TLS layer roles are switched - in the
same way that UDP + DTLS work.

Enhancing the libcoap code to support only the TCP layer being switched is
doable - but have no idea as to whether other CoAP implementations can
handle this specific requirement.

*** Not (yet) Implemented #1 - Redirected Signalling

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-06#section-3.2.
2

I do not see any issues here.

*** Not (yet) implemented #2 - New Conflict Cause 4

I do not see any issues here.

*** Not (yet) Implemented #3 - Address sharing considerations

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dots-signal-call-home-06#section-3.3.
2

I do not see any issues here - just need to interface with the translators
to get the appropriate information.

Regards

Jon

draft-ietf-dots-signal-