Re: [Dots] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fu-dots-ipfix-extension-01.txt

kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp> Tue, 12 July 2016 08:58 UTC

To: "Xialiang (Frank)" <frank.xialiang@huawei.com>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
From: kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 17:58:44 +0900
Cc: "Roman D. Danyliw" <rdd@cert.org>, Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>
Subject: Re: [Dots] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fu-dots-ipfix-extension-01.txt

Hi Frank,

I think the content of the draft has changed dramatically in this revision.
Though I'm not sure that the DOTS WG is the most suitable place to handle the extention of IEs of IPFIX,
I added a comment in reply especially from operational view point.

best regards,
kaname nishizuka

On 2016/06/14 18:40, Xialiang (Frank) wrote:
> Hi all,
> We submit a new version of this draft.
> Thanks for the discussion and comments from this WG, we try to clarify the puzzles and explain the real problem we want to solve and the solution in this updated document.
>
> Overall, we want to cover the following points in this version:
>
> 1. This document mainly concerns on the attack telemetry information, such as: the new telemetry information we need for attack detection, and how to use them, etc;
>
> 2. Current IPFIX and PSAMP standards do not support the detection of some connection-based and Zero-Day DDoS attacks well, which normally are the kinds of the low & slow DDoS attack and not easy to be inspected as flood attacks. In our draft, we analyze this point and clearly propose to use the connection sampling method  (which is specified by IPFIX/PSAMP)  with some extended new IPFIX IEs to fill the gap;
[clarifying question]
Is the connection sampling method equal to the filtering technique in RFC5475?

> 3. We also try to explain that the connection sampling method and the new specified IPFIX IEs are very effective for detection some categories of attack, and are feasible in the aspects of implementation, performance, deployment;
The main concern regarding to this proposal is performance impact on the sampling process.
How can it select the connection which includes attack vector like slow dos.
Description of some technique of selecting malicious connections out of huge number of connections would be needed.

> 4. There are already some good solutions applied in today's network for DDoS attack detection and runs well, but some of they are proprietary and not standardized, some of them are still not suitable for some kinds of attack well. Our proposal will not conflict to them and more intend to be the router/switch's functional enhancement, or just another solution choice.
Many operators are using coarse-to-fine approach.
They are using flow sampling for coarse detection and non-sampling methods like DPI for fine-grained detection.
Non-sampling methods could be more suitable than the new specified IPFIX IEs to detect some categories of attacks.
Could you describe the technique of connection sampling in detail which will not affect the performance of router/switches.