[Dots] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-dots-architecture-16: (with COMMENT)

Barry Leiba via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 05 February 2020 07:09 UTC

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-dots-architecture@ietf.org, Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, Valery Smyslov <valery@smyslov.net>, dots-chairs@ietf.org, valery@smyslov.net, dots@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 23:09:41 -0800
Subject: [Dots] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-dots-architecture-16: (with COMMENT)

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dots-architecture-16: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dots-architecture/

COMMENT:

A well done document; thanks,  I have just a few minor comments:

— Section 1.1.1 —
You don’t *quite* have the BCP 14 boilerplate verbatim; please fix that.

— Section 1.3 —

   o  The signal and data channels are loosely coupled, and may not
      terminate on the same DOTS server.

I suggest “might not”, lest someone misread it to mean that they are not
permitted to (the strict English meaning of “may not”).  Look for “may not”
elsewhere also: I saw it in Section 2 as well, and one or two other places.

— Section 2 —

   Thus, DOTS neither specifies how an attack target decides it is under
   DDoS attack, nor does DOTS specify how a mitigator may actually
   mitigate such an attack.

The structure of this “neither...nor” doesn’t work.

NEW
   Thus, DOTS specifies neither how an attack target decides it is under
   DDoS attack, nor how a mitigator may actually mitigate such an attack.
END