Re: [Dots] FW: New Version Notification for draft-reddy-dots-transport-05.txt

kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp> Thu, 18 August 2016 10:02 UTC

To: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, "dots@ietf.org" <dots@ietf.org>
From: kaname nishizuka <kaname@nttv6.jp>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 19:02:02 +0900
Subject: Re: [Dots] FW: New Version Notification for draft-reddy-dots-transport-05.txt

Hi Tiru,

On 2016/08/08 15:46, Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy) wrote:
> Hi Kaname,
>
> Yes, DOTS data channel should also cover pre-provisioning. As per our discussion at IETF, will remove DOTS channel from this draft, and create a new draft and pick specific sections and JSON attributes from draft-nishizuka-dots-inter-domain-mechanism and include pre-provisioning.
OK, That's great.

> Please see inline

One, human make mistakes.
Two, white-list type of filtering rule could need to be more specific in order to filter out the attack more precisely.

>>    Also there should be a limitation on a request
>>    * requests from DOTS clients should be limited
> It's an implementation detail, what do you suggest needs to be discussed in this draft ?
OK, it's an implementation detail.
I just wanted to point out that the DOTS server should not accept all of the filtering request from the DOTS client without checking the CIDR block of the DOTS clients' domain.

>>        - request for blocking, rate-limiting, etc.. can be another attack vector if the
>> request is spoofed.
> DOTS client has to authenticate to the DOTS server, how will DOTS requests be spoofed ?
As described above, the DOTS client can spoof the prefixes of filtering request (not the DOTS client's address itself) in order to block traffic not to its domain but to other organization.

>>        - limitation on possible range of target (=IP addresses/prefixes) should be
>> pre-defined per customer basis.
>>        - installed in pre-provisioning phase (on data channel)
>>
> Agreed.
>
>>    [note]:this filtering is required without regard to protection methods
> I did not get the above line, please clarify.
It was meant to say that "The range of target (=IP addresses/prefixes) in the requests from DOTS clients should be checked by DOTS server. It is independent of the protection methods the DOTS server will take."

>> 2. filtering instruction for mitigation
>>    * filtering of traffic is one of protection methods taken by mitigators
> Okay.
>
>>    * DOTS client can request filtering of traffic with desired action (blocking,
>> rate-limiting...)
>>    * instructed while it is under attack (on signaling channel)
> DOTS signaling channel does not signal filtering rules, it's the job of DOTS data channel.
>
>> Data model of Filtering Rules described in section 6 (DOTS Data Channel)
>> looks like type 2 of filtering.
> No, Filtering rules can be provisioned either before or during the attack.
> I will update the draft to clarify, currently the draft is only high-lighting the example of black-list rules provisioned during an attack.
Okay, I'll see that.

regards,
kaname