[dtn-interest] FW: simple sugestions to draft-irtf-dtnrg-sdnv-01...

"Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov> Tue, 23 June 2009 14:24 UTC

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <wesley.m.eddy@nasa.gov>
To: "dtn-interest@mailman.dtnrg.org" <dtn-interest@mailman.dtnrg.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:23:01 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Rui Chilro <rchilro@gmail.com>
Subject: [dtn-interest] FW: simple sugestions to draft-irtf-dtnrg-sdnv-01...

I received permission from Rui to reply to this on the DTNRG list:

We do have some text about zero-padding at the end of section 2, but do
you think it needs to be more clear or the point repeated in the decoding
description?

>- i understand that the code is just an example but since this is to be
>inserted in rush environments, the validation of the initial SDNV number
>(mod 8=0) in the decoding would prevent further problems, spare future
>processing of the string.

Ok; I guess the goal is just to skip quickly through any left zero-padding
within the encoding.  This seems reasonable to add.

>the idea was proposed back on the first draft of the DTN so i wonder why
>it
>was never put to RFC?
>
>Thanks for the oportunity and hope this helps

SDNVs are part of RFC 5050 and 5325, but they gloss over some of the
motivations and detailed discussion of SDNVs that this draft covers; as
discussed in the draft, there were alternative encodings with some
trade-offs that were discussed in the DTNRG, but the design decisions
that wound up codified in the protocols are not discussed outside the
SDNV draft.

Wes Eddy
Network & Systems Architect
Verizon FNS / NASA GRC