Re: [dtn-interest] dtn question

Scott Burleigh <Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov> Fri, 17 December 2004 00:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:07:50 -0800
To: dtn-interest@mailman.dtnrg.org
From: Scott Burleigh <Scott.Burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] dtn question
Cc: jeff@elkner.net
Sender: dtn-interest-admin@mailman.dtnrg.org

At 08:54 AM 12/15/2004, magical monkey wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm a senior at Yorktown High School doing a science project related
>to the efficiency of a delay-tolerant-network.  I was wondering if I
>could get some feedback on whether the project seems reasonable or
>useful - I'm planning to study the delay in transfer by varying delay
>times from 1000-60000 seconds, in intervals of 1000 to study the
>transfer success ratio and overall transfer time as delay is increased
>(and do statistical analysis on the data).  Any comments or
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks a lot.
>
>Sincerely,
>Anna

Hi, Anna.

I believe this will be pretty challenging in the near term, as we don't yet
have an implementation of a "convergence layer" adapter to a protocol that
can efficiently accomplish reliable data transfer between two points
separated by the kind of delay you're talking about.

If you're looking at a 1000-second delay end-to-end but brief delays
point-to-point (for example: A sends to B via TCP convergence layer over an
Ethernet at a time when B has no connectivity to C; you wait 1000 seconds,
then break the A-B connectivity and establish B-C connectivity, and B then
sends to C via the TCP convergence layer over an Ethernet; you've got a
1000-second end-to-end delay between A and C), then it's doable with the
code we've currently got.  But in that case I'd be concerned that you
wouldn't get very interesting transfer success and overall transfer time
statistics.

I suspect that the sort of study you want to perform will require
implementation of a convergence layer adapter to something like the
Licklider Transmission Protocol (LTP), which does reliable point-to-point
transmission over very long delays.  Stephen Farrell at Trinity College
Dublin has been working on an implementation of LTP itself, but for the CL
adapter I'm afraid you'd be on your own.  Not a trivial project.

Scott