[dtn-interest] Re: draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-extensions-00

Manikantan Ramadas <mramadas@masaka.cs.ohiou.edu> Tue, 08 February 2005 05:56 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:56:09 -0500
From: Manikantan Ramadas <mramadas@masaka.cs.ohiou.edu>
To: weddy@grc.nasa.gov, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: dtn-interest@mailman.dtnrg.org, ltp@masaka.cs.ohiou.edu
Subject: [dtn-interest] Re: draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-extensions-00
Sender: dtn-interest-admin@mailman.dtnrg.org

Hi Wes,

Alright, now that I re-read this thread in peace, I seem to understand
your positions slightly better. I think quite a bit of the disagreement
is because of misinterpretation of terminology, for example, the word
"relay".

> Running LTP over a radio link leaves open potential DoS and
> other directed attacks which are worse than jamming and
> many, in fact, almost all, of the practical options for such
> links (802.11b/WEP,BT,GSM) suffer from known security problems.

I think there is quite a bit of truth in the above statement. Time and again
we find that link-layer security if at all available, is flimsy, and not
robust enough, etc.
My personal gut feeling is that security in such technologies get to
be designed by teams of computer engineers/electrical engineers and that
their design team needs people with solid computer security background. [But
then again is a personal "gut" feeling. So ignore it if you disagree with
it. :-) ]

But more often than not you are stuck with hardware or device drivers as the
case may be, that offer flimsy computer security, if at all. But such
devices typically do provide a way of turning off their security mechanisms;
Thus we could turn it off and use a better more robust security mechanism at
a layer above of our choice. This problem, for example, is fairly realistic,
given that it exists atleast with something as prevalent
as 802.11b, bluetooth, etc. For such devices, it is certainly nice to have the
layer above offer robust security primitives. But continuing with (what I
understand as) your line of thought, you seem to suggest that if I were
having a bunch of blue-tooth devices (that seem to offer as good as no
security mechanism) communicating with one another and were worried about
the authentication needs of segments, I should just tunnel all my data over
an ssh connection (utilizing an RSA public/private key infrastructure).
Sure this can be made to work, but this would probably be an overkill and
might need rewrite of all my applications to do this. In this case, it would
seem ideal to have the layer sitting right above the blue-tooth layer,
over which I have software control, offer robust security. If I was perfectly
happy with the blue-tooth security primitives of course, I shouldn't be
forced to use this security; I agree.

We can still argue on which layer above the raw datalink layer is ideal
for security, where ofcourse individual mileage varies. But such argument is
still not good enough to *not* have robust, optional usage, security
primitives in LTP.

LTP is certainly point-to-point, and of course I agree that quite a lot of
design assumptions of LTP are based on the fact that :

Segments sent from the sender are received at the receiver in the same order
as sent (if at all received, that is). The only cause of segment loss is
data corruption. - [A]

Certainly. But I guess you have to remember that LTP is point-to-point in
the way an 802.11b sender and receiver are point-to-point. This is a
reasonable analogy, valid for most LTP deployment scenarios. Everybody gets
to listen to whats going on in an LTP session, and any-one within the
environment may make-up a spoofed up segment purporting to come from the
sender, to the receiver. Sure, any such adversary in the environment may jam
the channel environment. It is an easy low-tech solution, that just needs a
lot of power (in the 802.11b case, for example). But a high-tech and clever
solution is ofcourse to make up an LTP cancel segment and close the session.

Similarly, I think what Stephen really means when he used the term "relay"
is a repeater. Atleast a relay that is operating as a pure repeater. Note
that from a layering perspective, it is a datalink layer relay, and given
that LTP sits right above the datalink, this would and should be transparent
for LTP purposes since condition [A] is guarenteed.

As another LTP deployment example, consider a network of sensors, basically
802.11b nodes scattered in a lake as with Stephen's research deployment. It
would seem perfectly reasonable to have a mobile 802.11b base-station on a
boat that visits this lake occasionally, to have a protocol stack as below:

   --------
   Bundling
   --------
     LTP
   -------
     UDP
   -------
     IP
   -------
   802.11b
   -------

Also assume the presence of similar stacks on the lake-bed nodes.

In this setup ofcourse the entire layer below LTP serves as a datalink that
guarentees condition [A], and LTP is basically being used for its efficient
retransmission properties. Here ofcourse, I am assuming that IP is basically
being used just for its addressing capabilities, and no real routing is
being done when the base-station on the boat talks to each of the nodes.

All that being said, I certainly agree with you in that we need a decent
threat model for our extensions draft. For the first cut, we should atleast
clearly define what kinds of things we are protoecting ourselves against
with the mechanisms we propose. This is a 00 draft after all. More work
needs to be done here, obviously.

I would certainly like to hear what other people in the list think on this
topic; especially the folks researching on DTN security at MITRE.

Thanks guys,
Mani.