[dtn-security] Re(2): Issue implementing security source/destination with ESB blocks

Peter Lovell <plovell@mac.com> Fri, 03 August 2012 22:17 UTC

From: Peter Lovell <plovell@mac.com>
To: "Birrane, Edward J." <Edward.Birrane@jhuapl.edu>, Elwyn Davies <elwynd@folly.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 18:17:01 -0400
Cc: dtn-security@irtf.org, ahennes1@math.umd.edu
Subject: [dtn-security] Re(2): Issue implementing security source/destination with ESB blocks

Hi all,

Ed is is quite correct that non-security blocks can have an EID list. I'd been looking too closely at RFC6257 and not at 5050. And as I was checking today I noticed an omission in 6257. Do we have an errata list for it? If not, we need one.

The omission is in Section 2.1 describing EID-references. It does not mention that the EID-refs are preceded by a count field, although it does rather cryptically say that "a count field of zero is not permitted". Lao, in the discussion that follows, it says that there can be two EIDs at most, which is incorrect. These errors probably came about because the EID-reference-list things were developed mostly with the BSP discussion rather than the design of the Bundle Protocol, and when we changed it for inclusion in BP, I didn't edit BSP hard enough.

Now, back to the main issue at hand. Ciphersuite PC3 does use the notion of carrying forward an existing EID-list, and adding one or two new EID-refs to the front of the list. I'm rusty on this code - not have dealt with it for several years - but it seems to me that the sec-src and sec-dest EIDs would be added  at the end of the list rather than the front, and that obviously needs correcting. The code in "validate" seems to decrypt and reconstitute the encapsulated block correctly. As you mention, an encapsulated block wouldn't have either of these which is why it never showed up before.

The general scheme is  ...
1. create an empty working block
2. copy necessary things from the existing block into the new one,
   especially the EID list
3. if there's a security-dest, push it on the front of the list
4. if there's a security-src, push it on the front of the list
5. get keys etc and encrypt the entire original block, encapsulating it
   in the security-result field of the new block
6. replace the existing block with the working copy (care needed here with
   locals as things such as block-type may have changed)

At the receiving end, the process is a reverse of the sending one,
in general ...
7. create an empty working block
8. process the incoming block info, extract keys and decrypt the block
9. assemble the new block from the pieces in the decrypted block
10. in particular, you have to get the EID list of the incoming block
    and step over EIDs for security-src and/or security-dest, if present.
    Then you copy the rest of the list (count plus EID-refs) from the
    incoming block onto the EID-list in the working block. Conceptually,
    this is popping them off the front of the list and copying the remainder.
11. copy the rest of the block, and update locals as necessary for block-type
    change etc

The PC3 code does most of this so it should serve as a reasonable guide, with the correction I mentioned.

Regards.....Peter