Re: [dtn] DTN TCPCL and contact EID

"Burleigh, Scott C (312B)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov> Wed, 12 October 2016 20:40 UTC

From: "Burleigh, Scott C (312B)" <scott.c.burleigh@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: Brian Sipos <BSipos@rkf-eng.com>, Carlo Caini <carlo.caini@unibo.it>, "dtn@ietf.org" <dtn@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 20:40:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.149.137.26]
Subject: Re: [dtn] DTN TCPCL and contact EID

Sorry to be responding so late - it has unfortunately taken me all this time to bubble this thread to the top of my to-do list.  I don't think leaving node identification to a higher layer of the stack is practicable, since AMP messages (for example) are carried in bundles whose destinations are identified by BP EIDs, which is exactly the information that is missing.  But I think leaving it to whatever mechanism is used to do local node configuration management - whether neighbor discovery or some sort of local administrative utility - might be okay.

The ID of the socket from which the contact header was transmitted is potentially dynamic, hence not informative.  But maybe we can assert that any node that issues a contact header is required to be listening for inbound connections (contacts from other nodes) on some static IP address and port number.  That reception socket ID could be something that neighbor discovery (or, alternatively, a local node administration utility) could associate with a BP EID in the configuration database of the node that receives the contact header, ahead of time and out of band.  Then if the contact header contained the reception socket ID of the contacting node (which would be fixed-length data), the receiving node could look that socket ID up in its own configuration database and associate the received contact with the sending node's BP EID.

Scott