Re: [dtn] dtn wg work items

Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca> Thu, 08 January 2015 12:52 UTC

From: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet@viagenie.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 07:52:22 -0500
To: Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: dtn@ietf.org, dtn-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [dtn] dtn wg work items

> Le 2015-01-08 à 04:02, Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying.
>
> I am in principle ok with the work items of phase 1.

good.

> However, the charter says (with good intention):
> "Agree to a list of use cases for evolving the DTN specifications and a list of work items to be worked on."
>
> The list of work items is the second step IMHO, as the WG has to agree on a list of use cases that are considered in the first phase, before we can really agree on the list of work items.
>
> I assume that the below phase 1 list is based on use cases,

use cases have been part of the discussions but were not fully documented.

> but I would like to see the description of the use cases, either as an email to the list or in a draft. We do not take these drafts as WG items, but can have them as record of documentation in the progress of the WG.

Let’s see if we can find editors for use cases. I would like to just say that while it is good to have a perfect use-case -> work items -> document process (and I always agreed in principle on this, and the bof agenda was constructed that way), we may end up loosing energy in the working group, if we are way too picky. So a good balance here is needed.

> With respect to phase 2: I don't see that the WG can successfully talk right now about phase 2 at this point of time, as the work items list in phase 1 is already exhaustive and I assume that the work in phase 1 will result in a different phase 2 list.

that was the intent. the list of « phase 2 » is essentially a placeholder for topics that we talked about but were not getting concensus to work on initially. So we will discuss these later.

Marc.