[dtn] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on charter-ietf-dtn-01-00: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 02 September 2021 06:47 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: dtn-chairs@ietf.org, dtn@ietf.org, Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:47:44 -0700
Subject: [dtn] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on charter-ietf-dtn-01-00: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-dtn-01-00: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dtn/

COMMENT:

This WG is one of the most fascinating IMHO.

Glad to read "Multiple independent implementations exist for these technologies
and multiple deployments in space and terrestrial environments,": this is
useful to make a decision on the rechartering.

Some questions:

1/ for the work item "An architecture for Naming, Addressing and Forwarding",
the description is mainly/only about naming. Suggest to add a little more on
addressing and forwarding.

2/ I wonder why OAM and key management are put in the same bullet as the
problems and use cases for OAM & key management are probably different.

3/ protocol extensions, it is unclear to me what is the intend here. E.g.,
about tunneling, is it to tunnel bundles over an underlay or is it to tunnel
other protocols over a DTN underlay? The list of work items makes it a little
clearer though but consistency among the work item lists and the 3 work
categories would be a plus.

4/ is there any chance to have another name for 'neighbor discovery' as it
collides with IPv6 NDP ;-)

Finally, I would like to have a mention of cross-WG last calls somewhere in the
charter as there are potential overlaps (e.g., other WG have experiences
members on tunneling, ops, data models, naming).