Re: [dtn] New Custom vCORE VirtualBox Appliance With EMANE, Quagga OSPF-MANET, & NASA ION-DTN

"Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Thu, 31 January 2019 17:49 UTC

From: "Templin (US), Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Carlo Caini <carlo.caini@unibo.it>, Keith Scott <keithlscott@gmail.com>, "Dr. Ronny L. Bull" <ronnybull@gmail.com>
CC: "dtn@ietf.org" <dtn@ietf.org>, "core-users@nrl.navy.mil" <core-users@nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 17:48:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [137.137.12.6]
x-tm-snts-smtp: 9CC06A3B178973A37BD4D5A783B500388822B851C48C0CDEB2D64921596169FC2000:8
Subject: Re: [dtn] New Custom vCORE VirtualBox Appliance With EMANE, Quagga OSPF-MANET, & NASA ION-DTN

Hi Carlo,

>> 2) ION files can be organized in a way that the very same project "repository" (the folder of the
>> project containing all ION files) con be used in both environments. The key is to use a folder
>> for each DTN node (all ION files but the contact plan) and one for the common files (the contact plan).

Yes, that is what we have been doing for DTN emulations for many years, and is
also the approach used for most other CORE emulation projects. Set up a little
folder based on the node name for each CORE vnode, with configuration files
that are read at startup time. Also as a place to drop per-node log files.

The trick with ION is that you need to honor the “ION_NODE_LIST_DIR” environment
variable. What also works well for ION is to harvest the configurations from the test
scripts in the “./tests” and “./demos” directories and use those to populate the per
node folders read by the CORE startup scripts.

Thanks - Fred