Re: [Ecrit] Location Determination Platforms in DSL wholesale inCanada

Francois Menard <fmenard@xittelecom.com> Sun, 09 August 2009 13:48 UTC

From: Francois Menard <fmenard@xittelecom.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 09:48:36 -0400
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org, 'ecrit' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Location Determination Platforms in DSL wholesale inCanada

Hannes, thanks for the pointers.

My assertion into my submission to our Canadian regulator, in my final
concluding paragraph (of August 7), was:

***********
CISP is Coalition of Internet Service Providers inc. (www.cfai-cisp.ca)

1.     Finally, CISP submits that considering that the SIP location
conveyance[1] standard draft is finally set to be forwarded for
approval by the IESG in August 2009 as an IETF proposed standard, the
widescale worldwide implementation is now guaranteed and known
manufacturers of ATAs and SIP Phones in Canada are already working on
its implementation.  CISP submits that it will likely take less time
to see wide scale roll out of SIP location conveyance than it will
take for the Canadian industry to agree on ILEC hosted-LIS to ISP
Location Determination platform specifications (and for which there
are no standardization initiatives to begin with at this time).

*************
So let's look at them one by one.

1) http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-lis2lis-bcp-00
  is dated November 9 2007 and which has expired on May 12, 2008.

It does refer to draft-winterbottom-geopriv-lis2lis-req-00, which is
not the latest version.

2) http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-geopriv-held-measurements-04

This is standards track and expires on November 5 2009.

This provides measurements data.  The measurement data has to be
provided by the ACCESS NETWORK PROVIDER to the Internet Service
Provider in the context of WHOLESALE.

My issue is the use of LIS to LIS in the CONVERSE DIRECTION, which is
that of obtaining CIVIC

However, this document also refers to:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-lis2lis-req-01
dated November 19, 2007 and which has expired on May 22, 2008.

Presumably, as this one goes forward, its reference to http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-lis2lis-req-01
   will have to follow the same route than in raft-winterbottom-
geopriv-held-identity-extensions-09 and get filtered out, for this not
being an RFC.

However http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-lis2lis-req-01
  is is PRECISELY what I was trying to hunt down, insofar as whether
the IETF had considered formalizing this LIS to LIS protocol.

So we finally get to:

3) http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-identity-extensions-09

This  document is standards-track and expires August 29, 2009.

This document clearly shows as being the one that's closest to
formalizing the use of HELD across INCUMBENT OPERATOR to COMPETITIVE
ISP boundary

I find this in section 1.1, which clearly points to the usage case
we're considering here in Canada:

***
A third party LR can be granted authorization to make requests for a
given Target. In particular, network services can be permitted to
retrieve location for a Device that is unable to acquire location
information for itself (see Section 6.3 of [I-D.ietf-ecrit-phonebcp]).
This allows use of location-dependent applications--particularly
essential services like emergency calling--where Devices do not
support a location configuration protocol (LCP) or they are unable to
successfully retrieve location information.
***
However the problem is this is a PULL MODEL, and rather what we want
here is a PUSH MODEL, where the ISP who operates a LOCATION
DETERMINATION PLATFORM, would PUSH into the ILEC LIS, a TUPLET of
information in the form of LOCATION-URI and/or CIRCUIT-ID and/or CABLE
MODEM MAC ADDRESS along with the CIVIC PIDF-LO OBJECT.
So I do not find that http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-held-identity-extensions-09
  clearly stipulates what the LIS-to-LIS protocol ought to be, for the
aforementioned application.
So basically, I feel that my assertion, as I have filed it to the
regulator is correct.  There is no current standards-track initiative
in the IETF to specific a protocol for LIS to LIS communications,
which is what our incumbent telephone operators in Canada are trying
to push for.
This is a significant problem, which will need to be formally adressed
by GEOPRIV.
So a question to the group:
Would the specification of HELD as a PUSH protocol to send PIDF-LO
updates to a LOCATION INFORMATION SERVER in the context of an ISP LIS
pushing this into an EMERGENCY SERVICE PROVIDER LIS, be welcomed by
the group?
I will further assert that http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-lis2lis-req-01
  DID not anticipate the notion of providing LOCATION UPDATES, which
are much more akin to PRESENCE
I also find the notion of location updates to be referred to in
4) http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-winterbottom-geopriv-deref-protocol-04
This is also standards track.  I find from the various versions of
that document, that the notion of LOCATION UPDATES has washed out.
So my conclusion, is that the Canadian ILEC proposed solution requires
use of somekind of LIS UPDATE PUSH PROTOCOL which would probably be
provisioned with a LOCATION URI computed by the ISP and a PIDF-LO
provided by the ISP.
And that one does not exist yet.  Is developing one welcomed?
I look for the feedback from the group, as in Canada, we have
tremendous pressure from the regulator to make this work.  However,
the problem I see which is the biggest one, is not technical at all,
and lies in the fact that being the Emergency Service Provider, the
ILECs in Canada have the ability to monitor the entire competitive
industry if they are getting Location Updates for all current
broadband accesses of all competitors.
This is why I favour the concept of SIPCORE PIDF-LO LOCATION
CONVEYANCE, at the TIME of an emergency call, END-to-END, where the
first end is the residential subscriber and the other end, is the ILEC
which is OPERATING the Emergency Service Routing Proxy / Media Gateway
(which in Canada, will not be on the Internet, but rather over an
MPLS/ VPN private route to the ILEC and will more than likely require
the Voice over IP service provider to implement a session border
controller with media proxy).
F.