Re: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-05.txt: Identifying an emergency call

"Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com> Tue, 14 October 2008 18:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:04:02 +0300
From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
To: ext Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-phonebcp-05.txt: Identifying an emergency call
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Brian,

>Hannes
>
>If it's not possible in most circumstances to have proxies
>recognize emergency dial strings, then it's not possible to
>make it a requirement that they do so.
>
>The fact is that the endpoint must do it.  That is the actual
>requirement.

Quoting the document:

   ED-3 Endpoints SHOULD recognize dial strings of emergency calls.  If
   the service provider always knows the location of the device, then
   the service provider could recognize them.

>The proxy text is a backstop; it's not required, it's not
>usually even possible, but it's nice to have.
>If anything, you could be arguing we should delete the proxy
>requirement, or at least reword it to cover the case of a
>guarantee that the visited network handles emergency calls. In
>fact, since most emergency calls are made from visited
>networks where the local emergency dial strings are the same
>as home dial strings, it will actually work most of the time
>in most networks.
>That's my argument for keeping it.

Henning already made a suggestion for text and I will take a look at
that one to see how it works out.

Ciao
Hannes