RE: [Ecrit] ECRIT support for TTY/TDD calls

Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com> Thu, 16 February 2006 20:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:14:15 -0800
To: br@brianrosen.net, 'Henning Schulzrinne' <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>, 'Gunnar Hellstrom' <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
From: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] ECRIT support for TTY/TDD calls
Cc: "'Aquil, Kamran'" <kamran.aquil@mitretek.org>, ecrit@ietf.org, 'Gregg Vanderheiden' <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

At 9:17 PM -0500 2/15/06, Brian Rosen wrote:
>If a country has a dialstring that is the text-to-police dialstring, then we
>must map it into a unique urn unless we know that in every instance we can
>differentiate the text calls from voice calls.  I suspect that's hard.
>
>With a SIP URI, you know you can use media negotiation to get the text
>codec, and if the PSAP accepts the text call, then the mapper will have the
>same result for sos.police.txt as sos.police.  If you have to map instead to
>some older technology, you have to differentiate (that is, the mapping will
>be different).

It does seem possible to define a URI scheme specific to the text service,
so that the mapping protocol can respond with a URI for that service
which is distinguishable from the voice service.  As it stands, we have
said that the mapping protocol should return at most one result
per URI scheme, but if the URI schemes are distinct that's not a problem.

This also makes it possible to define the text-capable PSAP mapping
independently of the voice-capable PSAP mapping, which may be
valuable if a subset of PSAPs are capable.

I agree with Henning, though, that this subset case should get rarer.
			regards,
				Ted