RE: [Ecrit] AW: Requirements Draft close to completion

"Roger Marshall" <RMarshall@telecomsys.com> Fri, 17 February 2006 15:16 UTC

Subject: RE: [Ecrit] AW: Requirements Draft close to completion
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:43:56 -0800
From: Roger Marshall <RMarshall@telecomsys.com>
To: "Abbott, Nadine B" <nabbott@telcordia.com>, ecrit@ietf.org
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

Nadine:
Thanks very much for your feedback.  See my responses inline.

-roger.

Suggested change accepted for next version.

>2) Need to add a definition for the acronym LCMS or spell out
>(used in requirement Ma24X).

Added definition for LCMS, and defined as follows, (based on language found in draft-polk-newton-ecrit-arch-considerations-01.txt):

"Location Context Mapping System (LCMS): A system
defined as a set of mechanisms and services working together to
perform a mapping, (or, direct association), between a location and a
PSAP uri designated as responsibleto to serve that location."

>3) Minor edits:
>   Ma7: Multiple PSAP <<URIs>>   (no apostrophe needed)
>   Ma9: replace "urii" with "uri"

Ma7: done
Ma9X: done

>4) We added two new requirements to further clarify the
>requirements on the protocol in responding to location
>validation requests: Lo1X and Lo1XX.  I think I understand
>them, but I am not sure that someone not involved in the
>discussion would understand them the same way. In the
>discussion (see posted meeting notes) we said: "Do we agree
>that we need a result code, in addition to a URI? Partial
>validation may be the common case (public verifiers won't know
>suite numbers/room numbers, for example)... The protocol MUST
>have the mechanism (whether it gets used or not is up to the
>administration)." I think it would clarify requirement Lo1X to
>add a motivation with wording like the following in <<brackets>>.
>
>   Lo1X. Validation Resolution: The mapping protocol MUST support the
>      return of additional information which can be used to determine
>      the precision or resolution of the data elements used to
>determine
>      a PSAP URI, for example.
>
>      <<Motivation: The mapping server may not use all the
>data elements
>                  in the location in determining a match, or
>may be able
>                  to find a match for all but specific tags.
>                  The specifics of the information used may vary among
>                  emergency jurisdictions. Precision or
>resolution in the context
>                  of this requirement might mean, for example,
>explicit identification
>                  of the data elements that were used
>successfully in the mapping.>>

Added Motivation section to Lo1X, based on (though reworded) text provided above:

"Motivation: The mapping server may not use all the data elements in
the provided location information to determine a match, or may be able to
find a match based on all of the information execept for some specific
data elements.  The uniqueness of this information set may be used to
differentiate among emergency jurisdictions.  Precision or resolution in
the context of this requirement might mean, for example, explicit
identification of the data elements that were used successfully in the
mapping."

Please let me know if this does NOT convey what you wanted to say.

>5) There was also another idea that I think it would be
>valuable to capture--that it is useful to be able to provide
>in the response a URI that the client can then use to further
>resolve problems.  (See posted meeting notes: "Does the ECRIT
>protocol need to provide a way to fix data that's wrong in the
>database? No, but is it helpful to provide a URL for a
>mechanism that would help in fixing the data? NENA did this -
>it's actually helpful. We can't tell whether the user is wrong
>or the database is wrong.") I think this is a requirement on
>the protocol and is more than just an indication that
>something is wrong.  Therefore, I suggest that we add text
>like the following in <<brackets>> to Lo1XX, plus maybe a
>Motivation with wording like that below in <<brackets>>.
>
>   Lo1XX.  Indication of non-existent location: The protocol MUST
>      support a mechanism to indicate that a location or a part of a
>      location is known to not exist, even if a valid location-to-PSAP
>      uri mapping can be provided. <<This mechanism shall
>support inclusion
>      of a means to identify a separate mechanism to resolve
>the discrepancy.>>
>
>      <<Motivation:  The emergency jurisdictional authority
>may provide a means
>                     to resolve addressing problems,  e.g., a
>URI for a web service
>                     that can be used to report problems with
>an address.
>                     The response should allow this service to
>be identified.>>

I've rewritten the requirement Lo1XX some, taking into consideration the suggested text as well as provided a parenthetical for purposes of clarifying per RFC 2119.  A Motivation text block has also been added (though reworded some from the original suggested text).

"Lo1XX.  Indication of non-existent location: The
protocol MUST support (i.e. must implement in the protocol, though not
necessarily use), a mechanism to indicate that a location or a
part of a location is known to not exist, even if a valid location-to-PSAP
uri mapping can be provided.  This mechanism includes a means to
identify a separate mechanism that could be used to resolve the
discrepancy."

"Motivation:  The emergency authority for a given jurisdiction may
provide a means to resolve addressing problems,  e.g., a URI for a
web service that can be used to report problems with an address.
The mapping response would allow this service to be identified."

Please let me know if this does NOT coincide with what you were trying to say.

Roger Marshall

>Regards,
>Nadine Abbott

vity,title,creator,assignedto,status&:sort=id&:group=status&:pagesize=50&:startwith=0