Re: [Ecrit] What's up with draft-patel-ecrit-sos-parameter

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Sat, 15 November 2008 19:27 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Milan Patel' <milanpa@nortel.com>, 'Cullen Jennings' <fluffy@cisco.com>, 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 14:27:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] What's up with draft-patel-ecrit-sos-parameter
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

I have discussed this with Milan.  I agree that we need SOMETHING to mark an
emergency registration.  A parameter on a URI may be the best way to do
that, or something else may be appropriate.

In our discussion, I think I convinced him that the service URN can stay on
the call until it gets to the UAS, even if that was a gateway, and thus is a
sufficient marking for the call.

Again, I think I convinced Milan that having a URI parameter doesn't fix the
problem of a UAC that doesn't recognize a call as an emergency call.  If it
could recognize the parameter, it could follow phonebcp to determine what is
an emergency call, etc.

Call backs need a separately chartered item.  I don't think we're going to
end up with a URI parameter to mark a call back, but I won't prejudice what
comes out of that work.  Requirements first I would say.

Net net, 3GPP needs an emergency registration.  Other networks may have
similar needs.  We need a way to mark an emergency registration.  A
parameter is one way.  Is that the best way?  If it is, this work should go
ahead with that single purpose.  If not, this work should die, and something
else should take its place.

Brian