Re: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-local-emergency-rph-namespace-00

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Thu, 20 November 2008 17:00 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Janet P Gunn' <jgunn6@csc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:00:50 -0500
Cc: Ecrit@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] draft-ietf-ecrit-local-emergency-rph-namespace-00
Sender: ecrit-bounces@ietf.org

An “Emergency Services IP Network” is a private IP network to which, we hope, all public safety agencies are connected.  It handles all the traffic of a public safety agency, which would include routine and priority citizen to authority, authority to authority and authority to citizen traffic.  It’s not entirely clear to me yet whether we can reuse a number of the existing name spaces as well as a new one.  For example, some of the agency-agency traffic will require pre-emption, but the existing MLPP namespace may be quite sufficient.

It does occur to me that we could have ETS and possibly WPS traffic, in that if the normal access to public facilities traversed the ESInet towards some kind of gateway to a public network, then we would either have to have the ETS/WPS values, or remark them at the edge if a caller inside the ESInet needed to call someone outside the ESInet and needed ETS/WPS priority to do so.   If we carried the priority marking across the ESInet, ETS/WPS would be lower priority than some other traffic, but higher than, for example, citizen to authority emergency calls.

Brian