RE: [Ecrit] Emergency call marking

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Wed, 12 September 2007 21:59 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Richard Barnes' <rbarnes@bbn.com>, 'ECRIT' <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Ecrit] Emergency call marking
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:59:41 -0400

I think we have to relate this to "location hiding".  While the notion that
a proxy wants to know that a call purporting to be an emergency call is
indeed an emergency call is useful independent of location hiding, I think
the location hiding problem interacts with this problem so much that the
solutions for both need to be forged at the same time.

I do think that there are some problems with downstream LoST routing, but
the problem is internal to a carrier (like, they don't allow non telephone
number URIs for anything).  I guess that means it's not relevant to the
discussion, but we might make sure of that.

Generally, I think that verification by looking up location via LoST to
validate that the Route has a valid PSAP URI is a reasonable way to go, but
you can see that if that is the case, and the location in the call is a
reference, then the LIS has to give the proxy location that will yield the
same URI that the UA got, and then we are into the location hiding problem.

Brian