Re: [Ecrit] marking of PSAP call backs

Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> Tue, 10 November 2009 14:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:07:17 -0400
From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: Milan Patel <milanpa@nortel.com>, ecrit <ecrit@ietf.org>, hannu.hietalahti@nokia.com
Cc: 3GPP_TSG_CT_WG1@LIST.ETSI.ORG
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] marking of PSAP call backs

Thank you for this.

With regard to the last section, we need to consider two cases:
A) The caller with special needs places a call using non-voice media
directly to the PSAP.  There is no 3rd party interpreter in  the path.  With
respect to call backs, this is a simple case, as all calls would be signaled
the same way, but the SDP content would indicate text and/or video, or some
form of IM would be used.   Therefore any solution that worked with voice
would work.

B) The caller with special needs uses an interpreter, either engaged by the
user, or perhaps by the PSAP, and a 3 way call ensues.  A return call would
need to recreate this arrangement, ideally with the same interpreter (if the
call back occurred soon after the original call).  -phonebcp does not
discuss this kind of call.  We have worked on exactly this arrangement, with
the caller engaging a 3rd party interpretation service, in NENA.

The U.S. now has assigned telephone numbers to deaf and hard of hearing
users who employ video (sign language) or text relay services.  When dialed
direct by the PSTN, the call reaches an interpreter, who completes an IP
call to the deaf/hard of hearing user¹s device.  Similarly, when the deaf or
hard of hearing user places a direct dialed call from their device, it
automatically engages a relay service and places the voice part of the call
from the interpreter to the hearing called party via the PSTN.  Using a
service like that for callback would be simple, but not as good as the
original emergency call, which was a 3 way.  To place a call back with a 3
way would require somewhat different signaling than described in ­phonebcp.
I don¹t see this as very difficult, but it is different.  I believe this
kind of service will be extended to speech to speech relay, captioned voice
service, and possibly others.  We may have to investigate how other
countries are evolving their telecommunications services for special needs
individuals.

Brian