Re: [Ecrit] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data-34: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Wed, 02 September 2015 14:52 UTC

From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:52:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.33.128.33]
Cc: "draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data@ietf.org>, "ecrit@ietf.org" <ecrit@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data.ad@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data.ad@ietf.org>, "ecrit-chairs@ietf.org" <ecrit-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data.shepherd@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data.shepherd@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-ecrit-additional-data-34: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

I’m okay with the MUST NOT except, and I can imagine other uses for these that will work fine if we write a document that explains them.

I’m strongly against standards track for extensions.  There are a number of organizations who have expertise that need to be able to define the data.  We can’t be experts in all things.  An example is that we’re going to extend for medical data useful to a first responder.  Clearly has major privacy issues, but we’re not the experts in that, and those that are don’t write RFCs.  NENA, the 9-1-1 organization in North America is working on extensions for location related data, and also knows 10X more about location data for emergency response than IETF does.  We need to let the experts do their jobs.

Brian