[Ecrit] Re: [Geopriv] New draft on Secure Location Objects

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Mon, 06 November 2006 17:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:52:45 -0800
From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
To: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org, ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>, Matt Lepinski <mlepinski@bbn.com>, Steve Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Subject: [Ecrit] Re: [Geopriv] New draft on Secure Location Objects

Henning,

You're certainly right that we don't need to revisit the arguments that
have gone on about location signing (and other security issues).  In
this draft, I think we were hoping to sidestep some of that by treating
mechanisms for security separately from the underlying trust models.
That is, this draft is trying to examine the tradeoffs of various
security mechanisms, and their performance against security threats in
current GEOPRIV and ECRIT documents -- independent of the trust model
and associated semantics.

I agree that the trust model that supports GEOPRIV security is a
complicated and difficult question, and one we should elaborate on more
in our next draft.   We will try to incorporate the prior ECRIT and
GEOPRIV discussions, in addition to the current documents.  However, we
should bear in mind that the selection of a trust model is a separate
and independent problem from defining formats and mechanisms that might
rely on such a trust model.

Thanks,
--Richard