Re: [Ecrit] Direct access - the "normal" call-path

Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> Wed, 11 November 2009 15:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:32:34 -0500
From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: "Dawson, Martin" <Martin.Dawson@andrew.com>, James Polk <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk" <Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk>, ecrit <ecrit@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Direct access - the "normal" call-path

First of all, Ray, if your normal call path is direct over the Internet,
send it direct over the Internet.  "We" (at least North American PSAPs
upgraded to NG9-1-1) will take them.

There may end up being some kind of formal introduction process involving
testing, and possibly a credential, but we haven't worked anything like that
out yet.  Calls would be accepted from unknown sources as long as there
wasn't an attack in progress which we didn't have better filtering for.  As
I mentioned before, we may end up with some transitive trust mechanisms such
that if the U.K. PSAP upgraded to IP connectivity compatible with phonebcp,
and you had a credential they trusted, the U.S. PSAPs may trust you.

That might occur if one of your employees came to the U.S. and used your PBX
with a softclient from a Starbucks.  It will work.

Such mechanisms aren't described in phonebcp.  I don't think they have to
be.  We're not looking for any phone behavior, and since all we are looking
for in the proxy is TLS with mutual auth, we don't need anything there for
proxies either.

I want calls sent on the normal call path: through whatever proxies you
normally use.  They have to route per the Route headers and Request URI of
course.  Sounds like that would be what you normally do, which is good.

Right now, you send 999 calls over the PSTN.  I do hope you will have "SIP
Trunking" to replace your E1s or whatever your PSTN connection is now.  We
would prefer your emergency calls to come that way, through your carrier, as
they do now.  But if you have a good reason to send them direct, do it as
long as they meet phonebcp requirements.  We'd LOVE a good Identity header
btw.

Brian