Re: [eman] WG documents adoption

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Mon, 22 November 2010 14:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:32:13 +0100
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: "Mielke, William F (Bill)" <bill.mielke@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [eman] WG documents adoption

Hi Bill,
> Benoit,
>
> You have stressed the following a couple of times now:
>
>      Note that, if a document becomes a WG item, the open issues discussed
> will have to be
>      solved based on the group consensus.
>
> Since I am new to the IETF I am unfamiliar with the actual implications of
> this statement.  Could you perhaps explain a bit more about what this means
> in practice for those who are less familiar with the nuances of IETF customs
> and procedures?
>
> I assume that adoption is done by group consensus and that future changes
> will be done by group consensus so I am confused about what is different
> between now and after adoption.
When a document is an individual draft, you can give comments to the
authors, but it's up to the authors to address them.
When a document is a WG item, the document belongs to the WG. As such,
all comments should be addressed, based on the WG consensus.

> Does proposing changes or alternatives
> become somehow more difficult after these have been adopted?
That's the reverse: it should be easier, as the authors should at least
respond to your comments.
> I am just
> asking for clarification for the benefit of myself and possibly others on
> the list.
Sure.
> I have provided some comments on the Requirements document but have not
> heard back from Juergen as to whether the points I raised could be
> addressed, or not, and some of these possibly had implications for the
> framework / architecture document as well.
>
> One example would be my request or suggestion that the references to IPFIX
> be removed from the proposed requirements and that this issue be resolved
> within the Architecture document.  I have concerns about the IETF EMAN
> standard referencing IPFIX as being a required technology for a standards
> conforming solution.  I understand the desire to have this approach
> recognized as a standards conforming approach and I believe that this can be
> easily accomodated in some way within the reference Architecture, but most
> likely this will need to be considered an optional part of the standard and
> not a required one.  I say this because acceptable management alternatives
> for the efficient transfer of time series data are certainly possible and I
> would like to see the standard accomodate those alternatives and not mandate
> a specific solution as is currently being proposed.
>
> So with respect to your statement above, is this something that could
> customarily be easily addressed after adoption of Juergen's proposed
> requirements
yes exactly.
> or is this something that would be best handled as an alternate
> proposal/draft to Juergen's which is put forward prior to the adoption of
> either of the two alternatives?
>
> I just wish to understand the customary processes in this case to establish
> some shared expectations on moving things forward.  I don't expect that even
> in my current example that the group cannot come to some appropriate
> agreement to address the concerns of all.
Btw, this specific issue of IPFIX was discussed in the context of the
EMAN architecture, and I remembered that the feedback received was in
favor of not mentioning IPFIX in the architecture, but at the same time,
not preclude this potential adoption in the future.

A common good practice for document authors is to include a TO DO
section at the beginning of each document, listing the points that need
further discussion.

Regards, Benoit.