[Emu] A review Re: [Nea] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap-02.txt

zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn Wed, 06 June 2012 09:18 UTC

To: Joe Salowey <jsalowey@cisco.com>
From: zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:18:22 +0800
Cc: emu@ietf.org
Subject: [Emu] A review Re: [Nea] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap-02.txt

Section 1
"The other type of  PT, PT-TLS [I-D.ietf-nea-pt-tls], operates before the
endpoint gains
   any access to the IP network. "
==>should be "after the endpoint have gained access to the IP network"

"PT-EAP is an inner EAP [RFC3748] method designed to be used under a
   protected tunnel such as TEAP [I-D.ietf-emu-eap-tunnel-method], EAP-
   FAST [RFC4851] or EAP-TTLS [RFC5281]."
==>PEAP is more widely supported.

"Finally, it describes how the  tls-unique channel binding [RFC5929] may
be used to PA-TNC exchanges
   to the EAP tunnel method, defeating MITM attacks such as the Asokan
attack [Asokan]."
==>

"Some EAP tunnel methods may provide explicit confirmation of inner method
success; others may not. "

section 3.4 " Attack Analysis [16], " the reference [16]

section 4.2.3
"The strong integrity protections (hashing) offered by EAP-TTLS allows the
   PT-EAP message recipients to detect message alterations by other
   types of network based adversaries. "
===>it is not hashing offering the integrity, but MAC
section 4.2.4
" the  session can be encrypted and hashed to prevent undetected
   modification that could create a denial of service situation.
"
===> only MAC, not encryption and hashing can prevent modification

section 4.3
  "The phase two dialog may include authentication of the user by doing
   other EAP methods or in the case of TTLS by using non-EAP
   authentication dialogs.  PT-EAP is also carried by the phase two
   tunnel allowing the NEA assessment to be within an encrypted and
   integrity protected transport."
==> TTLS can also use EAP method as inner method.

"These inner methods may perform additional security handshakes including
more
   granular authentications or exchanges of integrity information (such
   as PT-EAP.)  "
===> IMO,PT-EAP better be exchanged after the phase two of the EAP tunnel
method, so that
 the resulted key derived from tunnel and inner authentication method can
be used to protect it.

section 5
  "To support countermeasures against NEA Asokan attacks as described in
   Section 3.4, the EAP Tunnel Method used with PT-EAP will need to
   support the tls-unique channel binding.  This should not be a high
   bar since all EAP tunnel methods currently support this but not all
   implementations of those methods may do so."
====> It seem no current EAP tunnel support tls-unique now.
  And Asokan MitM attack is countered by crypto binding, where tunnel
method is bound with inner method.
  While TLS-unique is limited to the tunnel method to provide binding
between TLS and application, I wonder
  if there is some confusion in the document.

Regards~~~

-Sujing Zhou

Joe Salowey <jsalowey@cisco.com>
发件人:  emu-bounces@ietf.org
2012-06-06 02:05

收件人
emu@ietf.org
抄送

主题
Re: [Emu] [Nea] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap-02.txt

June 4 has come and gone and we haven't received any comments.  If you
have reviewed the document and not found any issues please indicate that
on the list.  I'll leave the review open until 6/12.  If you can commit to
review the document, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joe
On May 21, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Joe Salowey wrote:

> The NEA working group has produced a draft for carrying NEA posture
methods within EAP.  It would be helpful if some EMU working group members
reviewed the draft.   Please send your comments to the EMU list by June 4,
2012.

> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: internet-drafts@ietf.org
>> Date: May 15, 2012 8:36:14 AM PDT
>> To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
>> Cc: nea@ietf.org
>> Subject: [Nea] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nea-pt-eap-02.txt

directories. This draft is a work item of the Network Endpoint Assessment
Working Group of the IETF.

>>               Title           : PT-EAP: Posture Transport (PT) Protocol
For EAP Tunnel Methods