Re: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt (part 1)

"Hoeper Katrin-QWKN37" <khoeper@motorola.com> Tue, 02 March 2010 16:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:20:23 -0500
From: Hoeper Katrin-QWKN37 <khoeper@motorola.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, emu@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-emu-chbind-04.txt (part 1)

Bernard,

Thank you for your detailed comments.

It is true that channel bindings as described in the draft can
accomplish two different things in Enterprise networks and Service
Provide networks, respectively.

To what degree the "lying provider" problem can be solved heavily
depends on the kind of data available to the home network.

This data enables the home network to verify the consistency between the
offered services and the services that were agreed on in contractual
agreements.

What's included in contractual agreements and which of this data can be
made available to the home network varies heavily depending on
particular implementations. For this reason the specifics of the data
are outside the scope of the draft. This is a good thing because the
channel binding protocol in this draft enables to verify WHATEVER data
is relevant & available and make sure that the data presented to a peer
is consistent with the data known to the home network.

The draft describes the protocol to exchange this information. Another
draft describes what containers can be used to exchange this
information.

What somebody wants to verify as part of the channel bindings is up to
the implementers. The draft only explains the two general problems it
addresses and outlines a few examples.

If you think the current examples are too deprived, I would like to ask
you to suggest some more "reasonable" examples that we can include.

Best regards,

Katrin