Re: [Emu] Review of draft-clancy-emu-eap-shared-secret-01

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 12 July 2006 18:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:05:36 -0400
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Lakshminath Dondeti <ldondeti@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [Emu] Review of draft-clancy-emu-eap-shared-secret-01
Cc: emu@ietf.org

Hi Lakshminath,

Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
> At 10:46 AM 7/12/2006, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
>
>> I agree that a discussion about the algorithms is good.
>

> At some point in the near future I will try and argue about algorithms
> :).  I hope to see others' proposals and views in the meanwhile.

Good. Looking forward to it.

During the mailing list discussions I proposed to recycle some of the
IKEv2 algorithms. Maybe that's something we should be doing again.
RFC 4307 would be a good pointer.

>> Moving them into a separate document isn't.
>

> So I am drawing from the experience of IKEv2 and ESPv3.  The idea is
> purely based on document maintenance process.  If the algorithms are in
> a separate document, rev'ving them is easier without the worry of
> revising the based protocol itself.  Anyway, we don't have to discuss
> this to death.  If other folks feel the same way, they'll speak up, but
> otherwise, I am happy to let it die.
I am not sure whether IKEv2 or ESPv3 is a good example. Our goal was to
develop a simple EAP method. To have something interoperable we have to
define a mandatory to implement ciphersuite. I strongly believe that we
have to put this ciphersuite into the EAP method document.

If you have to revise the mandatory to implement ciphersuite (because it
is broken) then you must create a new EAP method document.

Ciao
Hannes