Re: [Emu] FW: New Version Notification for draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00

ncamwing <ncamwing@cisco.com> Tue, 16 March 2010 18:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:49:56 -0700
From: ncamwing <ncamwing@cisco.com>
To: Stephen McCann <mccann.stephen@googlemail.com>, emu@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] FW: New Version Notification for draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the review and feedback (and apologies for the delayed
response!). Since we'll be at the IETF next week, perhaps we can meet
 live so that we can clarify how to clarify NAK vs. Error TLVs for
 the next version of the draft?

Please see inline for answers/comments:

On 1/25/10 2:42 AM, "Stephen McCann" <mccann.stephen@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Nancy,
>            I've reviewed
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00.txt and have the
> following comments:
>
> 1) Is the intention to make the TLV types administered by IANA?
> Doesn¹t there have to be a request in this draft? (I¹m not sure, but I
> just wanted to know?)
[NCW] Yes, that is the intent and we can clarify that in the IANA section
 if it not so....

> 2) I don¹t think you really need a result TLV. In my opinion, it would
> be better to minimize the TLV¹s defined in this draft and leave
> ³result² or other functionality to the RFC that defines the additional
> TLV types. That way this simply focuses on using EAP to transport
> these TLV¹s.
[NCW] That is fine, I think we meant to leave it out as we do
not explicitly define one in the draft, though text does suggest the
 use of one.  I think one of the issues to consider is the state machine
 of the tunnel method and whether the state machine needs to know when
 to "conclude" (as well as allowing for a "protected" EAP success) which
 is why there is the suggestion for the need of some such explicit
 TLV....but we can consider alternate ways in which to proceed other
 that a result TLV.

> 3) Do you really need Error TLV? Or could you combine NAK and Error
> TLV? Take the example of an EAP-Request containing 2 vendor-specific
> TLV¹s. Let¹s say one can be processed and the other cannot. How do I
> use the ³error TLV²? It might be better to define error fields within
> the TLV and use NAK as an error type.
[NCW] I think the subtle difference is NAK is more of negotiation(?) status
 to signal which TLVs were not supported vs Error is used for interpretation
 of the TLVs themselves that could affect the overall EAP state machine.
 So, in your example above, NAK would be used
 to specify which TLV was not supported but not affect the flow or EAP
 state machine, whereas the Error TLV may.
>From the current draft, the Error TLV only provides an Error code whereas
NAK includes a list of TLVs....but I am open to suggestions in how to merge
 these.  Would be happy to meet face to face next week so we can resolve
 this one.

> 4) Do the TLV frames have a maximum length?
[NCW] They are inherently limited based on the TLV length field (2bytes)
 so the TLV can only be a max of 2^16

> 5) What are Result TLVs? Is this a typo?
[NCW] Yes, that is a typo and will fix in the next revision.