[Emu] RE: Revised liaison response for IEEE 802.11u EAP method for emergency calls

"Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Mon, 15 October 2007 20:05 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: jsalowey@cisco.com, emu@ietf.org
Bcc:
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:05:41 -0700
Cc: ecrit-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [Emu] RE: Revised liaison response for IEEE 802.11u EAP method for emergency calls

>TTLS (draft-funk-eap-ttls-v0-01.txt) and EAP-FAST (RFC4851)
>are TLS based methods that can support server only authentication.  It
>was also pointed out that EAP-TLS (draft-simon-emu-rfc2716bis-11.txt)
>could be modified to create a new EAP method that only requires server
>side authentication.

In general, in TLS-based EAP methods the TLS client authentication policy is
determined by the server.  That is, the server decides whether to request a
client certificate; RFC 2716 recommends but does not require inclusion of a
certificate request in the Server hello message; in the examples in RFC 2716
the certificate-request field is not shown as mandatory. By not including a
certificate request, an EAP-TLS server can support anonymous clients. It is
my understanding that existing EAP-TLS peer implementations support
server-side only authentication.