RE: [Enum] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-livingood-shockey-enum-npd-00.txt

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Fri, 22 July 2005 15:05 UTC

From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:05:54 -0400
To: Richard Shockey <"enum at ietf.org">
Subject: RE: [Enum] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-livingood-shockey-enum-npd-00.txt

Dear all,

although I did not receive (yet) any response to my e-mail below,
I want to comment on the mentioned draft:

I have a question to the following paragraph:

"The following Enumservice is registered with this document: "npd" to
   indicate number portability data.  The purpose of this Enumservice is
   to describe information about telephone numbers which cannot be used
   on the public Internet or a private/peered Internet Protocol (IP)
   network.  Thus, these are numbers which are only reachable via the
   traditional Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)."

The second sentence seems to imply that ONLY ported numbers
will be used with the Enumservice "npd". The example 4.2 indicates
that also non-ported numbers may be used.

The third sentence is simply not true: I myself have ported numbers
that can be reached on the public Internet via SIP URIs.

IMHO there is a more in-depth analysis required how this
Enumservice is used, what it implies and with which other
Enumservices it can be used togother

There is also a need to consolidate the different Enumservices
using the tel URI and their use in User and Carrier ENUM.
Also the usage of crosspointers (entries in User ENUM pointing
to Carrier ENUM and vice versa) with tel URIs is necessary.

One example is the usage of ENUM-only numbers existing only
in User ENUM (e.g. +43780 and +87810). Here a pointer in
Carrier ENUM may be useful to point from Carrier ENUM to
User ENUM. Such a number may have a routing number , but
this routing numbers are only of national significance and cannot
be used in a global system.

There is also missing a note that with this Enumservice the tel URI
MUST always contain the same number then the AUS.

regards

-richard