RE: [Enum] enumservices in new version of 2916bis

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Thu, 27 June 2002 09:10 UTC

Subject: RE: [Enum] enumservices in new version of 2916bis
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:01:39 +0200
From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
To: Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@NeuStar.com>, Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>, enum@ietf.org
Sender: enum-admin@ietf.org

Hi folks,

E2U+function+protocol+...?

So we are back to G.711 again?

I really have a problem with this discussion, especially with SIP and TEL.
On one side I hear from SIP people, that SIP is enough, because it is "srs" and everything can be negotiated anyway, and now I hear that we have to include rtp as well?

Since we have multiple (6) dimensions here, we have IMHO two (three?) options.

The dimensions are:
E2U (which is the only stable item)
category (e.g. talk or msg as proposed in draft-brandner-enum-categorical-enumservices-00)
service  (e.g. voice, video, fax, ..)
protocol or better URI-scheme (e.g. sip, h323, tel, mailto, ...)
subprotocol etc. (e.g. rtp, G711, ...?)
additional info (e.g. home, office, mobile, ...)

In draft-stastny-enum-services-analysis I proposed to combine service and protocol, but this is not the issue, they also may be separate.

The two options are:
1) Put everything in the enumservice field:
E.g. "E2U+category+service+URIscheme+subprotocol+addinfo", eventually defining default values if there is no entry. This also raises some questions: is mailto the default of msg, or msg the default of mailto ;-)

2) Put only information in the enumservice field which is NOT in the URI, assuming the the regexp(s) are evaluated before the NAPTR is selected (which I would prefer, because I do not really see the problem doing this)
E.g. "E2U+category+addinfo" ... URIscheme;svc=service

For version 1 it should be kept in mind also, that especially the tel URI may allow multiple categories and/or services:
E.g. "E2U+talk+msg+voice+fax+sms
There should also be a clear definition if this is allowed or if separate NAPTRs have to be used in this case.

BTW, the third option would be, to cancel the whole discussion on enumservices and just use only E2U and define the URIs in such a way, that everything may be expressed with the URI. I think, that has to be done anyway, since an URI may also be used without ENUM (e.g. as a link on a webpage or in an email signature, so a client should be able to do the same it is doing with a NAPTR + URIscheme with the URI alone.

Or put it the other way round, the URI in the NAPTR may contain enough information to be selected by the client, if it is only allowed to look at it. If not, we end up duplicating any possible information in the URI-scheme in the enumservice field (as proposed in option one).

Best regards
Richard

Richard STASTNY
OeFEG/Telekom Austria