Re: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-dns-applications-00.txt

"Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz> Wed, 20 October 2010 14:43 UTC

From: "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>
To: Lawrence Conroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>, Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:43:43 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-ems-proccessed: R64IxjzeHPwwd+efoj3ZcA==
x-ems-stamp: 9bJYrrmgwpAoYg/1SDL7IA==
Cc: IETF ENUM list <enum@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-dns-applications-00.txt

Lawrence,

Thanks for these notes. Your editorial concerns will be fixed in the next revision.

I'm not sure that dns-applications would be the right place to address Google's pubic resolver, as the scope of this document is really the interplay of applications and the DNS, and at least off the top of my head I don't see how the Google resolver is salient to that. In much the same way that iab-dns-applications does not rule out DKIM's use of credentials in the DNS, initially I don't think it should rule out the keyassure work either, which in my opinion could turn out to be useful, although there are also paths where it could turn out not to be useful.

The draft certainly does not suggest that HTTP and DNS are the same - merely that HTTP (or really any query-response protocol) can emulate the query-response semantics of the DNS. Obviously the two protocols are otherwise very different.

I think I do agree that the second bullet in the second set of bullets on page sixteen doesn't capture what we meant here, though instinctively there must be some discouragement of excessive recursion. We'll try to find a more exact way of stating that which doesn't seem to ban CNAME. We do want to preserve concerns about redirecting between names in the DNS without DNSSEC, though.

While there are alternative technical solutions to many of the practices discussed in dns-applications, the issue the draft raises with send-n is its "predictive" quality, the practice where one node in a tree tells resolvers about the the state of nodes down the tree and the resulting synchronization issues. Perhaps there are ways to approach send-n in the DNS that don't exhibit this quality, but perhaps there are ways to do it outside of the DNS entirely which require a lot less imagination.

The draft doesn't attribute the story of ringtones in the DNS to any particular source, and perhaps it is apocryphal, but that doesn't exempt it from serving as an illustrative example of excessive data in the DNS.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.