Re: [Enum] "Enumservices" and RFC 3953

lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Fri, 28 January 2005 00:21 UTC

From: lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:21:43 -0500
To: Stastny Richard <"Richard.Stastny at oefeg.at">
Subject: Re: [Enum] "Enumservices" and RFC 3953

Hi Richard, Klaus, Kim, all,
  Happy new year.
Dead Right - the "E2U+blah" registrations are indeed wrong, in that
they don't match the framework for registrations specified in RFC3761
section 3.

That states that Enumservice registrations are based on type, with all
sub-types and (generated) URI (schemes) being included in the
registration. The type forms the apex of a namespace branch - there can
be no other sub-types/URI schemes unless the "master" specification is
updated/obsoleted. Tedious, but necessary.

In the IANA tree specifications, conformance with RFC3761 is required,
and the values put into the current IANA tree aren't. These normative
specifications need to be precise, as otherwise the protocol is
unclear.

For example, at present, the IANA registration implies that a service
string of the form "E2U+E2U+SIP", with a generated URI scheme of "sip:"
is valid. It isn't.

IMO, We should fix all the registrations ASAP.
Looking at the ones with which I'm involved:
As webft SHOULD be going through the IESG process, I'd suggest that we
can change this during the Author's 48, assuming that ever occurs.

Similarly, if the clarifications requested and provided for the msg
draft have removed any reasonable remaining doubt, then we can ensure
that the same is true for the individual service registrations included
there too when that goes through Author's 48.

I'll look through the Experiences draft to see if there's anywhere
where the Enumservice strings could be ambiguous, but I don't think
there is anything. I've heard no more issues raised, so from my
perspective the current Experiences draft is complete.

However, as the anointed Enumservices are RFCs already, does the errata
mechanism need to be invoked?

all the best,
  Lawrence