RE: [Enum] RE: My prior art published in august 2000 to abusive US Patent 6, 347, 085

"Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> Mon, 23 April 2007 15:26 UTC

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>
To: 'Patrik Fältström' <paf@cisco.com>, 'Tony Rutkowski' <trutkowski@verisign.com>
Subject: RE: [Enum] RE: My prior art published in august 2000 to abusive US Patent 6, 347, 085
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:19:57 +0200
Cc: enum@ietf.org

> De : Patrik Fältström [mailto:paf@cisco.com]
> Cc : verdy_p@wanadoo.fr; enum@ietf.org
> Objet : Re: [Enum] RE: My prior art published in august 2000 to abusive US
> Patent 6, 347, 085
>
> On 23 apr 2007, at 16.25, Tony Rutkowski wrote:
>
> > At 04:04 PM 4/23/2007, Patrik Fältström wrote:
> >> The first draft was released in 1998, under the name draft-
> >> faltstrom- e164-00.txt. I am
> >
> > Actually the prior art goes back to the drafts developed by Karl
> > Malamud
> > and Marshall T Rose in 1993.  See RFC 1530 et seq.   It was
> > instantiatiated
> > on tpc.int and has been in continuous use ever since.  This is were
> > the real innovation and "art" first arose.   Malamad-Rose created the
> > "art" and placed it in the public domain at that time.   The art
> > here is the
> > use of a IP-based DNS resolver mechanism for E.164 numbers to reach
> > a network terminal device.
>
> Correct. I was "just" pointing out the history of RFC2916, without
> talking about prior art to that RFC. Many documents where written
> about E-164 and DNS. This tpc.int was probably the first
> implementation that was live world-wide.

I didnot want to make money with this. Because I really thought that what I
gave online on the ICANN mailing list was quite basic, and correctly
describing what was finally published by the IETF in its RFC.

Regarding filing dates, it's possible, because I don't know much about the
US patent system, I only swathe publication date. Is it what you callafull
disclosure or IP rights?

I also note the signature of the Patent: it was an IETF participant at least
at end of 1999, and probably in mid-2000 as well, so theirs is real doubt
about his honesty (but this is difficult to judge now, given that the
disclosure of IP rights assignments were secured only in the last few
years.)

If I come so late on this issue, it's only because I rediscovered my old
message archived on ICANN server along with the patent claim, using a google
search on my own name.

Thanks for your reply. I hop that my message will not cause you more legal
harassment with this Patent, and this was really disturbing for me, to see
that you were abused, for something that I discussed before the patent was
disclosed publicly in late 2006.