[Enum] Generic Enumservices required?

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Mon, 25 July 2005 16:20 UTC

From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:20:45 -0400
To: Richard Shockey <"Rich.Shockey at neustar.biz">
Subject: [Enum] Generic Enumservices required?

All,

In my last post below I talked about "generic" Enumservices
here a more detailed explanation what I mean with this:

User ENUM is an additional service to an existing service on the
PSTN (with the exception of ENUM-only numbers), where an end-user
may define additional services linked to this E.164 numbers on the Internet
To point to this services the end-user is using URIs, but these URIs alone
are not sufficient. So Enumservices are used for two purposes:
1. to allow clients to find out the application needed without the
need to evaluate the regexp (a requirement from Patrik)
2. to provide additional information about the application needed
if the same URI is used e.g. for
email:mailto; sms:mailto, mms:mailto, ifax:mailto
fax:tel; sms:tel; mms:tel, voice:tel; video:tel,
etc:

Carrier ENUM is an additional service (at least at the moment)
carriers may use to point to the destination NETWORK if they
host the E.164 number for the end-user.

The npd:tel Enumservice is typically such a generic Enumservice:
the information is not even contained in the tel URI, it is in the
"rn" parameter. and the "rn" parameter is basically giving the
destination network, and not the services which are connected
with the E.164 number.

So in Carrier ENUM a carrier may provide the following information:
a generic information (also sip is a "generic information)
npd:tel and rn for ported numbers
npd:tel without rn (not ported)
in addition the entry in cariier ENUM may point with
sip either to a SBC or to a gateway to the PSTN
using sip with rn is IMHO not useful, because a carrier
would either point to his own gateway or just use npd.tel.

As I already explained, an enum:tel would be useful to point
from carrĂ­er ENUM to User ENUM for ENUM-only numbers
(they do not belong to any carrier)

npd:tel (or something similar) would be useful for
User ENUM to add the information that the number
is also existing on the PSTN

(this would replace voice:tel)

-richard