[Enum] Re: IP claims that may impact ENUM

Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com> Thu, 20 May 2004 15:47 UTC

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:47:32 -0400
To: "Lind, Steven D, ALABS" <"sdlind at att.com">
Subject: [Enum] Re: IP claims that may impact ENUM

On May 20, 2004, at 13:46, Lind, Steven D, ALABS wrote:

Internet Management Systems, Inc. (a Swiss company) has submitted a
contribution to the current meeting of ITU-T Study Group 2 that claims
that both they and HP have intellectual property and patents dealing
with the mapping of telephone numbers to internet domain names. I
couldn't find any IP statement on the IETF web site, although that is
not the relevant issue. I wanted to make the WG members aware of this
issue so that they can fold in any impact of this in their business
plans.
FYI: ENUM is using ideas from RFC 1486 published in July 1993 (which
means Internet Drafts and testing were going on long before that date)
which imply any patent claims talking about mapping of E.164 to domain
names have to be filed before that date. The document specifies the
tpc.int domain as root. So, ENUM was not where this mapping was
invented.

1486 An Experiment in Remote Printing. M. Rose, C. Malamud. July 1993.
     (Format: TXT=26373 bytes) (Obsoleted by RFC1528, RFC1529) (Status:
     EXPERIMENTAL)
ENUM itself was first documented and implemented as part of a master
thesis at Ericsson winter 1996-1997.

     Patrik Fältström