Re: [Enum] a suggestion re: using flags to distinguish post-ENUMsignaling f lows

"Stastny Richard" <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at> Wed, 08 February 2006 06:48 UTC

Subject: Re: [Enum] a suggestion re: using flags to distinguish post-ENUMsignaling f lows
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 07:51:38 +0100
From: Stastny Richard <Richard.Stastny@oefeg.at>
To: "Stafford, Matthew" <matthew.stafford@cingular.com>
Cc: enum@ietf.org, speermint@ietf.org
Sender: enum-bounces@ietf.org

>Also, I'm curious to see the reactions to

>==> E2U+mms:mailto:mx ?
>==> or mailto:a@example.com;mx=yes/no ?

>==> E2U+sip:srv
>==> or sip:a@example.com;srv=yes/no

>Appending ";mx=yes/no" (or ";srv=yes/no" in the SIP case) gives information that can just as easily live outside the ENUM >context. Not true of the Enumservice approach (or, for that matter, the ENUM NAPTR flag)- both of those are tied directly >to the ENUM record.

Exactly,

Peering with SIP URIs must work with or without ENUM, especially in User ENUM. The reason
is that the ENUM query may be done by the client and a SIP proxy may have no idea if
the SIP URI has been entered by the user direct or by derived from ENUM.

OTOH, since users now do not enter mailto:a@example.com;mx=yes and it works, why should
they enter SIP:a@example.com;srv=yes

The SRV s mandatory anyway

regards

Richard

________________________________

I consulted draft-ietf-enum-pstn-03. As best I can tell from a brief reading, the E2U+pstn records are helping you to find a media gateway for PSTN interconnect. I'm looking specifically at 7.1(d) and 7.2(f) in the call processing scenarios.

Maybe "g" for gateway was a bad choice in my original message. Since "s" and "p" are already defined in non-ENUM contexts in the DDDS RFCs, I was looking for another term (other than server or proxy). Unless I read the PSTN draft incorrectly (or I'm looking at the wrong document altogether), I believe that it does *not* address the following question: I've done an ENUM query and extracted the URI from the ENUM NAPTR; how should I interpret the domain portion of the URI?

Also, I'm curious to see the reactions to

==> E2U+mms:mailto:mx ?
==> or mailto:a@example.com;mx=yes/no ?

==> E2U+sip:srv
==> or sip:a@example.com;srv=yes/no

Appending ";mx=yes/no" (or ";srv=yes/no" in the SIP case) gives information that can just as easily live outside the ENUM context. Not true of the Enumservice approach (or, for that matter, the ENUM NAPTR flag)- both of those are tied directly to the ENUM record.

A random thought: If one wanted to go with mailto:a@example.com;mx=yes/no, where would the change to the mailto: URI scheme be documented?

Best,
Matt