Re: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-00.txt

Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@neustar.com> Tue, 21 August 2001 18:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:32:00 -0400
To: Chip Sharp <chsharp@cisco.com>
From: Richard Shockey <rich.shockey@neustar.com>
Subject: Re: [Enum] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-epp-e164-00.txt
Cc: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, enum@ietf.org
Sender: enum-admin@ietf.org

At 11:51 AM 8/21/2001 -0400, Chip Sharp wrote:
>At 11:08 AM 8/21/2001, Richard Shockey wrote:
>>At 02:22 PM 8/20/2001 -0400, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>>>In the spirit of the note Patrik sent earlier today, I've written the
>>>individual submission I-D described below.  It's intended to be a "stake in
>>>the ground" for discussion using example data derived from RFC 2916.
>>>
>>><Scott/>
>>

>>And on behalf of my co-chair ..I'd like to thank you for the submission.
>>This is indeed a useful contribution to thoughtful technical discussion
>>of ENUM related issues.  However I would want to point out that the
>>problem statement that this document addresses is a potential tool for
>>ENUM provisioning between various entities that is specifically under the
>>authority of national administrations of E.164 resources as outlined in
>>RFC2916 in RFC 3026.
>
>I don't understand the last sentence.  Could you please clarify?  Aren't
>we talking about DNS provisioning?

Yes ..but the rules and tools by which a particular E.164 resource is
provisioned under e164.arpa will come under the jurisdiction of the
appropriate E.164 resource holder. That is what the liaison statement in
3026 describes based on 2916. That means, for instance,  that the
Government of the United Kingdom is ultimately responsible for how its
portion of the E.164 plan [4.4.e164.arpa] is to be administered and
provisioned.  We can only make useful recommendations and offer hints to
proper tools but we IMHO cannot be prescriptive as to what solutions are
appropriate.

Its very clear to me that business rules and policy considerations for ENUM
provisioning in Europe will be very different that in North America. That
should not be suprising to anyone since the administration of numbering
plans in Europe are different for each country. There is much fine work
going on the Administration of ENUM in Europe by ETSI and I'm aware that
they are making substantive progress.

Again, Scott's draft is a useful and thoughtful first step in helping
potential E.164 resource administrators understand what kinds of options
may be available to them for provisioning such records and considering the
advanced state of discussions in several countries about ENUM deployment.

France, for instance determine that SOAP or something else is more
appropriate protocol for provisioning these records.

>I have suggested in a private email to Scott that he consider just
>defining a <domain:naptr> and/or <host:naptr> object for EPP.  That would
>take care of the provisioning requirements for DNS to support NAPTR
>records (and thus RFC2916).  The current provreg epp drafts (e.g., host,
>contact, domain) should cover the rest.

Well I can certainly think of a lot more requirements here but again they
need to be defined in the context of national administrative policy. I've
been tracking the work in provreg since its inception.