[Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt

Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com> Thu, 10 August 2000 15:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:56:24 -0400
From: Michael Mealling <michael@bailey.dscga.com>
To: James Yu <james.yu@neustar.com>
Cc: 'Patrik Fältström' <paf@cisco.com>, enum@ietf.org
Subject: [Enum] Re: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-03.txt
Sender: enum-admin@ietf.org

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 09:51:46AM -0500, James Yu wrote:
> I'll ask a few basic DNS questions which may help me in understanding the
> enum process.

No problem...

> Let's assume that my desktop PC in my office needs to launch a enum/DNS
> query.  It (the DNS client/resolver) follows the 6 steps described section 2
> to formulate the DNS query.  Since I'm in an enterprise environment, there
> is a local DNS server that does the caching and DNS resolutions.  So my PC
> sends the query to that local DNS server which then tries to resolve the DNS
> query.
>
> Question#1:  Does this local DNS server know anything about enum?   All
> those digits in the DNS queries are just zones to it.  Is it correct?

Correct. This is actually a strength since it allows DNS to act as it
always has. No additional software is needed in the server. You _can_
start optimizing stuff by making the server ENUM aware so that it
puts potentially useful information in the additional information
field of the DNS packet. This optimization on the server side is a MAY
not a MUST.

> Now, the local DNS server receives all the NAPTR RRs from for a particular
> E.164 number related enum/DNS query.

Yep....

> Question#2: Does the local DNS server returns all those NAPTR RRs to the
> client on my PC or does it continue the DNS resolution process including
> applying the rewrite rules and launching the DNS query to fetch additional
> RRs indicated in the NAPTR RRs?

Nope. The local DNS server is dumb with respect to ENUM and NAPTR. The
DNS server simply return the NAPTR records for the dname you request.
Its up to your client (PC) to actually do the rewrites and issue any
further DNS requests....

> I'll also need to read the I-Ds mentioned by Hong and Mike.

Read teh DDDS ones first and then the draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt
document. It'll make more sense that way...

-Mm