Re: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 07 March 2016 15:57 UTC

To: Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 15:57:32 +0000
Cc: "draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd@ietf.org>, "nkong@cnnic.cn" <nkong@cnnic.cn>, "eppext@ietf.org" <eppext@ietf.org>, "eppext-chairs@ietf.org" <eppext-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hiya,

On 05/03/16 16:54, Gustavo Lozano wrote:
> Thank you Stephen,
>
> Comments inline.
>
> Regards,
> Gustavo
>
> On 3/4/16, 10:18, "Stephen Farrell" <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>

>> Hi Gustavo,
>>
>> Sorry for the slow response...
>>
>> On 18/02/16 17:20, Gustavo Lozano wrote:
>>> Thank you for your review Stephen,
>>>
>>> Regarding the DISCUSS portion of your email:
>>>
>>> Short story: in the case of the gTLD space, the information regarding
>>> the
>>> PKI used for validating SMDs is defined here:
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00
>>> (sections:
>>> 4.1, 5.1.1.3, 5.1.2.3, 5.2.1, 5.2.2, 5.2.3.1, 5.2.3.2, 5.2.4, 5.2.5,
>>> 6.2,
>>> 6.4).
>>
>> Sorry, but that is too short a story for me to grok it:-)
>>

>>> Long story: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04
>>> (SMD
>>> draft) was conceived as a draft defining a mapping of the common
>>> elements
>>> found in trademark data. The design goal is that the SMD draft
>>> specification could be used by any entity (e.g. ccTLDs, gTLDs, trademark
>>> validators <-> distribution channel) for mapping the tradermak data. The
>>> organizations using the digitally signed portion of the spec will need
>>> define a PKI and the policy for that particular use-case scenario.
>>
>> Right. The issue is what information about that PKI is needed in this
>> draft. Without any, all we end up knowing is that the signature bits
>> are ok, but nothing about their meaning. Now that could be a valid
>> approach to take, but you'd need to say so and why say what else is
>> needed to make an implementation of this usable.
>
> draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04 defines the format of the XML blob. In other
> words, it should be enough to syntactically validate the XML blob (with or
> without digital signatures). The definition of the PKI is an exercise for
> a party that wants to use this format, and digitally sign the XML blob. In
> the case of the ICANN-TMCH, the PKI is defined in
> draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00.
>

> I think that this is explained in the introduction, but the text may need
> to be tweaked?

Yes. Both the abstract and intro say that this document defines a thing
called a "digitally signed mark" - some people would consider that to
define such a thing, you do need to say how it relates to a PKI, or, in
this case, to say that that is defined elsewhere and point at an example
of such an elsewhere.

>> I'm also puzzled that the func-spec draft you mention above, in
>> section 5.1.1.3, points to a specific root cert (presumably operated by
>> icann?).
>
> Correct, the root cert mentioned in section 5.1.1.3 of
> draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec is used for validating the SMDs generated
> by the ICANN-TMCH.
>
>> Presumably that means that the func-spec is specific to
>> what ICANN did and plan to do in future with gTLDs and the func-spec
>> is not meant to be something generic that can be used by e.g. ccTLDs?
>
> Correct, draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec is specific to what ICANN did
> for the new gTLD program. An SMD generated by the ICANN-TMCH basically
> says: a validator using ICANN policies, validated that X is the holder of
> the mark Y. A ccTLD may want to use the same policies, and use the root
> cert provided by ICANN for validating the SMDs generated by the
> ICANN-TMCH. A ccTLD may want to use different policies, use the format
> defined in draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-04, and if interested in using
> digital signatures, define its own PKI.

I think you need that information or an equivalent in this document.
The func-spec reference can be informative and not normative if you need
to have this document as an RFC before the func-spec. (In that case
you'd need to say something like "a PKI for using this with new gTLDs
will also be defined by the EPPEXT WG in [func-spec]".) But I think
it'd be better if this RFC and the func-spec one popped out together.

>>> In the
>>> case of new gTLDs, the [ICANN-TMCH]
>>>
>>> (<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/trademark-clearinghouse/rpm-requirem
>>> en
>>> ts-30sep13-en.pdf>) is the document (included by reference in the new
>>> gTLD
>>> contracts) defining the policy / technical requirements. The document
>>> [ICANN-TMCH] links to
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec-00
>>
>> I didn't see any mention of that I-D in [ICANN-TMCH] - are we looking
>> at the right things?
>
> The draft is mentioned as draft-lozano-tmch-func-spec (see section 2.4.1).
> The draft was renamed as draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-func-spec when the EPPEXT
> WG accepted it as a WG document.

As I suggested above, I think you need to refer to func-spec from this
draft. Doing so via the ICANN doc, via an expired I-D seems like a bad
idea when you can do it directly.

Cheers,
S.