Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - update

Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net> Mon, 08 September 2008 15:38 UTC

From: Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@cantab.net>
To: Kary Främling <Kary.Framling@hut.fi>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:38:17 +0100
Cc: esds@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ESDS] Proposed Charter - update
Sender: esds-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Kary,

I like your suggestion to modify the wording to say  "develop
interfaces for publishing available data sources, submitting one-time
queries for such sources, and registering for standing queries to
changes in available data sources".

However regarding standing queries, I think that in the context of a
Discovery Service, the purpose of a standing query with a DS is to
inform the client of changes in the availability of data sources
(primarily when additional data sources register that they hold
information for a particular ID), rather than informing the client
that an existing data source for an ID has recorded additional data
internally within its own database.

I also prefer 'information resource' to 'data source', since it is
more likely that organisations may wish to exchange information rather
than raw data.

I would therefore suggest fine-tuning the wording further to say,

"develop interfaces for:
i) publishing the address of available information resources [for a
particular ID of an object of interest],
ii) submitting one-time queries for retrieving the addresses of such
resources, and
iii) registering for standing queries, whose responses inform the
client of addresses of any additional information resources that
publish a record to a DS at a future time for the particular ID of an
object of interest ",

Perhaps we also need a footnote that when we talk about 'publishing'
or 'available', this does not imply that the information resources or
their addresses are available to all or publicly known - the
availability of a particular information resource might only be made
available to a restricted set of authorized clients.

Best regards,

- Mark