Re: [EToSat] BDP parameters draft: security aspects

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 19 December 2019 09:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:55:10 +0000
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
CC: emile.stephan@orange.com, "'etosat@ietf.org'" <etosat@ietf.org>, Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr>
Subject: Re: [EToSat] BDP parameters draft: security aspects

Thanks Christian,

So I see this as in three parts:
1) How to get parameters to the client from a server who knows
things about the path that has been used.
2) How to safely return the params to the server to initialise a
connection's CC functions.
3) How to do the adjustment with "CC safety" considering the possibility
that actual path could/will change.

For me the focus owas on the last item and the text we proposed
was I think our attempt to find a way that could complement QUIC -
I actually do think I do not yet know for certain how best to signal the
params or what security functions to use. I am aware of others
probably having more intuition here, and I would be very open to good
suggestions. I think this is where the WG expertise would help, and
your suggetsions are apprecaited.

Gorry