Re: [Extra] imap4rev2: disallow "RENAME INBOX"

Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi> Thu, 08 November 2018 14:02 UTC

From: Timo Sirainen <tss@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 16:02:29 +0200
Cc: extra@ietf.org
To: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>
Subject: Re: [Extra] imap4rev2: disallow "RENAME INBOX"

On 8 Nov 2018, at 13.37, Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com> wrote:

> This is one of the open issues from imap4rev2 - which extensions should be part of the mandatory baseline.
>
> This one came from me.  I dislike the weirdness of "RENAME INBOX Archive-foo" because of its special behaviour regarding sub mailboxes, and the auto-recreation of the source mailbox, and all that jazz.
>
> Argument in favour of keeping it - it's easier for clients, which is part of the point of IMAP4rev2 - servers have already suffered through this the first time, and will need to keep IMAP4rev1 support for a while anyway probably.
>
> Arguments for and against in response to this please.  Also arguments about the suggested middleground saying that clients "SHOULD NOT" use it, or something like that - with the flip side that servers MAY reject rename of INBOX.
>
> We're particularly interested in "I use this, and want to keep it" from either servers that see their clients doing it, client authors, or even users!

Dovecot has always been rejecting this when used with Maildir format (other formats allow it):

a rename inbox plop
a NO [CANNOT] Renaming INBOX isn't supported (0.001 + 0.000 secs).

I've never heard anyone complain about it.

I've a feeling Courier is rejecting it as well, but can't check now easily.