Re:Re:Re: FddiTime (Time and Time again)

Pablo Brenner <pablo@fibhaifa.com> Fri, 07 August 1992 12:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1992 12:19:54 -0000
From: Pablo Brenner <pablo@fibhaifa.com>
To: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu, imp!uunet!dsiinc!rem@gatech.edu
Subject: Re:Re:Re: FddiTime (Time and Time again)

> From imp!uunet!CS.UTK.EDU!owner-fddi-mib Wed Jul 29 07:37:14 1992
> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 92 16:34:00 -0400
> From: imp!uunet!dsiinc!rem
> To: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu
> Subject: Re:Re:Re: FddiTime (Time and Time again)
>
> After seeing this discussion going in circles, I'm sorry I brought
> the whole thing issue!  :-)
>
> I'd like get past this, but I don't think I've seen consensus for
> ANY proposal yet.  I don't think this is that important of an issue,
> and am surprised it's taking this long to resolve.
>
> SMT currently uses three types for representing time:
>
>     A.  FddiTimeStamp - 64-bit integer : semantics of 80 ns units.
>
>     B.  FddiTime - 32 bit integer : semantics of 80 ns units.
>
>     C.  FddiTimerTwosComplement - 32 bit integer: semantics of unsigned
> 	    twos complement 80 ns units.
>
> To simplify things in rfc-1285, we omitted all FddiTimeStamp variables
> and converted FddiTimerTwosComplement types to FddiTime.
> For the new mapping, the idea is to restor the FddiTimeStamp variables
> and nail down a good representation for the other two types.
> As I understand the discussion, the new mappings fall
> into the following categories:
>
>     1.  FddiTimeStamp:  There seems to be only one proposed encoding:
>
> 	A.  OCTET STRING (SIZE (8)), with semantics indicating that
> 	    it is really a 64-bit INTEGER, encoded in network order.
> 	    The real concern is that everyone encodes (and decodes)
> 	    the same way.  No one seems to care that these are not
> 	    in microsecond resolution.
>

>     2.  FddiTime:  There are two proposed encoding rules:
>
> 	A.  INTEGER, with semantics of 80 ns units.
> 	    Advantage:  Most closely matches SMT.
> 	    Disadvantage:  Values with high bit set may show up on "dumb"
> 	        manager stations a negative.  This is not a problem, since
> 		there are only a few variables that use this encoding and
> 		they typically won't need anything in that range.
>
> 	B.  INTEGER, with semantics of 1 microsecond units.
> 	    Advantage:  Easier to read on management stations.  No
> 	        problem representing large values.
> 	    Disadvantage:  Loss of resolution.  It would be impossible
> 		to specify exact timer values as the minimum resolution
> 		of the 1 microsecond timer would be (12.5) 80 ns units.
>

>     3.  FddiTimerTwosComplement:  There are at least three proposed encodings:
>
> 	A.  INTEGER, with semantics of unsigned twos complement 80 ns units.
> 	    Advantage:  Most closely matches SMT.
> 	    Disadvantage:  Almost every value will have its high bit
> 	        set.  "Dumb" managers will always display negative numbers.
> 		"Hard" to convert to format non-FDDI people understand.
>
> 	B.  INTEGER, with semantics of 1 microsecond units.
> 	    Advantage:  Easier to read on management stations.  No
> 	        problem representing large values.
> 	    Disadvantage:  Loss of resolution.  It would be impossible
> 		to specify exact timer values as the minimum resolution
> 		of the 1 microsecond timer would be (12.5) 80 ns units.
> 		Potential confusion for people who understand FDDI
> 		networks and who are using management station to
> [...]

Agree with Ron,
	from my experience: the only people that look at these values are
people who DO understand FDDI, and are trying to tune or diagnose a network,
in the case of network diagnosis the resolution (and more important the
option of identifying these values when looking on an FDDI analyzer) are
extremely important.
"Dumb" managers who don't understand FDDI have nothing to look there!

--Pablo
Pablo Brenner
R&D Dept.
Fibronics Ltd., Matam Industrial Park, Haifa 31905, ISRAEL
phones: +972-4-313675            Fax: +972-4-536360
e-mail: pablo@FibHaifa.com   or  pablo@fibronics.UUCP
Wireless: CX5YI/4X
=============== Usual disclaimers apply =======================