Re: Implementation questions

Anil Rijsinghani <anil@levers.enet.dec.com> Thu, 29 July 1993 23:03 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 18:20:19 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Anil Rijsinghani <anil@levers.enet.dec.com>
To: dsiinc!rem@uunet.uu.net
Cc: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu
Apparently-To: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu, dsiinc!rem@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Implementation questions

"Initialization of the management system" has rather more severe
implications than you attribute to it below.  For example, it would wipe
out counters in all other areas of the FDDI MIB, and presumably in all
other SNMP MIBs reported by the device.  This would make hot swapping
defeat its own purpose (at least from the management point of view :-)

We do want to retain continuity across all variables that remain
unaffected by the change -- this is precisely why the requirement for
contiguity of indices was removed.  (The current draft of the
new ifmib has quite a bit of detail on the subject of how ifNumber
and indexing were redefined to accomodate hot swapping.)

Anil