Re: FddiTime

dan@lannet.com Tue, 28 July 1992 12:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 14:10:59 -0000
From: dan@lannet.com
To: fddi-mib@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: FddiTime
Cc: anil@levers.enet.dec.com, atuncay <atuncay@synoptics.comfddi-mib>

Anil writes:

>   Anyway, the vote is 3-1 against making this change so far and there
>   are bigger and better issues yet to be resolved on this mib, so
>   let's move on! :-)

What vote? A proposal was put to change the presently used units of
FddiTime to more human (Network Manager)-friendly ones. I saw not even
one repply against it on the list. The accepted rule as I understand it
is that silence means acceptance. If some kind of 'voting' or consulting
takes place it should be made public.
Anyway, just in case I did not understand the rules, I strongly support
changing the units and transporting on wire data which is meaningful
to the manager. It would help both sofisticated applications and simple
'browsing machines'.
So, it's 3-2 now! Let's move on to the 'bigger and better issues', but
think again and hear more voices about the FddiTime issue.

dan@lannet.com