Re: if mapping

dsiinc!rem@uunet.uu.net Fri, 19 February 1993 16:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1993 10:35:18 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: dsiinc!rem@uunet.uu.net
To: uunet!cs.utk.edu!fddi-mib@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: if mapping

[Anil writes:]
>    I agree with your argument for removing numbering restrictions
>    on indices.

There is another reason to remove the 1-N restriction from the
resource indices.  In the previous draft, we attempted to align
the SMT indices with the SNMP indices.  As Sal mentioned, there
are no restrictions of 1-N for SMT, so this would not have
accomplished the 1-to-1 mapping like we envisioned.  Additionally,
if the station had multiple SMT instances, the 1-to-1 mapping would
have been almost impossible.

Removing the 1-N restriction allows representation of the following
configurations:

    SMT 1	MAC 1
    SMT 1	MAC 17
    SMT 2	MAC 1

[Anil writes:]
>    <groan> looks like this issue's back to haunt us.. here's another
>    exorcism attempt..

I don't really care which way we decide to resolve this, as long
as everyone agrees to it consistently.  However, I have always worked
with the assumption that "partially implemented" tables or making up
fake values to complete tables were bad things.  If these things are
common in SNMP, why did we take the time and effort to move the optional
MAC counters to a separate table and also remove all the optional SMT
variables from the MIB?

>    ps: nice to see some life on this list.. if we're not careful we'll
>    get this mib done yet :-)

Wouldn't that be nice?

Ron Mackey			Distributed Systems International, Inc.
rem@dsiinc.com			531 W. Roosevelt Road, Suite 2
708-665-4639			Wheaton, IL 60187-5057